Tuesday, June 7, 2011

listening

                                        a volkswagon from the year I was born


Do you love sitting in your car, all nice and cosy when it is freezing outside?  On the weekend we decided to get out of the house and drive down to Wingecarribee River and take all the boys for a walk.  Once there I felt so tired and my neck was really paining.  I declined the walk and all the boys set off.  The car was facing west on the rivers edge.  It was late afternoon and the sun was just above the hills.  I was bathed in its warm glow shielded by the cold chilly wind.  There was a group of local kiddos playing soccor in just shorts and t shirts.  They were having lots of fun.  I closed my eyes and just listened to the sounds, both near and far.  The warble of the Magpies, the arrogant laugh of the Kookaburra, the squeals of delight of goals been scored between the gum trees.  I love these moments.  Being fully present.  Empyting my mind.  Letting the sounds waft around me.  I love sitting in the car alone.  Do you?

7 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

I honestly can't remember the last time I sat in our car alone....

Gorgeous VW. Must have been a good year Jill!

Sydney Shop Girl said...

My favourite alone time in the car is on the way home from work. I listen to the news or question time in parliament. Makes me feel more connected to the world and more informed.

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

Naturally Carol said...

I love it too. When I had five kids at home and a fairly small house it was full and noisy with no place to go to for respite. I treasured my car 'cos it was like a little cosy room that I could take off in and enjoy the world outside in..a capsule of fresh air and serenity, a get away car..lol. Just a note..I didn't leave the kids alone..hubby was home too!

Felicity said...

I love my car and enjoy 'escaping' in it day or night, it's a dream.

Like SSG the radio is always on and we scoot along the road as a companionable duo.

Not sure I've ever just sat like you did but I can imagine it was a wonderful cocoon - I would have fallen asleep if it was in the sun.

xx F

Felicity said...

I love my car and enjoy 'escaping' in it day or night, it's a dream.

Like SSG the radio is always on and we scoot along the road as a companionable duo.

Not sure I've ever just sat like you did but I can imagine it was a wonderful cocoon - I would have fallen asleep if it was in the sun.

xx F

Vicki said...

Hi Jill,
Oh yes, relate to this one too. Can't remember how often I've pulled into the garage and stayed in the car as I've been engrossed in something or other on the radio. Growing up in the country everyone parked their cars around the local oval and watched the footie from the warmth, bimping horns when a try was scored, grew up with the drive-ins, kids showered and in Pj's watching The Fox and the Hound or something of the like but my fav time is waiting for the girls after school sitting there just thinking.
Vickixx

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh yes, i get to school early for pick up JUST to do this. I used to get out of the car & chat while the children played after school, but now we have to go to high school for the next pick up. I hang by the car, not as much fun as the playground but a quicker exit & the senior primary mums meet me there (sounds a bit snobby but i spent YEARS in the junior corridor, i'm over it). Just today i was in the car shoving elastic on the end of a safety pin through the legs on bloomers for my weekend market, i usually have craft to do in the car & today i left the heater on, it was 5C & just too cold. When we pull up at high school most of the children jump out while we wait & tear around the oval & long jump pit, i'm there again, in the cosy car alone, ahhhh . . . often dreaming of a nicer newer car, love Posie