Thursday, June 9, 2011

our creative space

Making lots of squares of different crotchet stitches to experiement and send off for little thank you gifts.  They are meant to be dishcloths.  I really got into the groove with these pretty patterns and just wanted to keep going but ran out of cotton.  I had the idea of making a longer version and ending up with a neck warmer.  Have been matching up with some vintage buttons.  Yesterday found some Amy Butler wool/cotton blend in a lovely lavender colour and have nearly finished one ball.  Maybe even learn how to make a flower corsage to sew onto it?  Love learning this new skill.


Dada has finished his handmade mallet from the Sturt School of Wood.  The head is made of Merbau and the handle is made of Jarra.  Now he is starting a small box.  He has hinted maybe a box for my  beads that are all over the dresser?

                        An abstract painting by our little man.


                            More creative spaces here

11 comments:

Felicity said...

You are so clever Jill!

I love the way the stitch in your purple square almost mirrors the patterns on your candle holders - quite Moroccan in inspiration no?

It's a pleasure to see beautifully crafted products whether they be your wool work or the stunning mallet [who would have thought those two words would be seen together in the context of a lovely note?].

Happy day & warm hugs from me to you,

Fxx

lamina @ do a bit said...

I love the crochet patterns.. they are really pretty.. and the little abstract is reallt cute too :)

LionessLady said...

How do you find them as dishcloths? What do you make the squares out of? I have been seeing these a lot lately and am keen to do away with the chux wipes and give them a go!

Sissy Sparrows said...

I haven't crocheted for years..but all this chilly weather might make me dust off the old needle for a go.

Vicki said...

Hi Jill,
I LOVE that purple square of creative genius! I've been knitting them and oh dear...the girls think I'm hilarious as I knit away and each one could stretch to the back of Bourke! Might just learn how to crochet on YouTube. I think this is the winter of content for you, all the nature, the opie bargains, the cooking, time with the gorgeous one, your posts...
Love the sound of a hand made box for your beads, a true gift of love.
Vickixx

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Jill..your creations are just perfect! Your dad is amazing with his woodcraft too. My fingers are freezing today..I'm having trouble typing they are soooo cold, it must be hot coffee time again!

Cat said...

Crochet is such a fun craft to learn,it works up really quickly and even better being able to make something handmade to give to friends. Your squares are lovely, pretty colour choices. :)

Sandrine said...

I love the rich colour of your yarn so warming (perfect with that cooler weather coming on!)!I have one similar one that I had to undo as the crochet was so bad :)Time to remind myself the how to bits :)
The woodwork is amazing such a beautiful craft!
Happy Friday xx

dash robin said...

Thanks for popping by my blog, I see you are into permaculture and crochet too! I love your dish cloths-the stitch is really lovely and I love the dark purple coloured one! have a great weekend!

Small Things Simple Pleasures said...

Your crochet is really pretty, Jill. Reminds me that I need to be a bit more adventurous with my stitches sometimes.

Like the pix with the giant wombats. Your little man looks like he could be wombat lunch, if only the wombats were real, could be bothered and were carnivorous.

ejorpin said...

Oh I love your crochet squares! Great patterns, especially on the smaller one...I wish I could crochet...