Thursday, June 2, 2011

en hiver

 For this first week of Winter, we have been like little bears.  With Mr Lurgy taking its toll, we have been hibernating.  There has been a lot happening in the big wild world, and like a  lot of other like-minded people I have been a bit emotionally affected.  I love animals.

Doing a bit of yarn over in those stolen moments when the little one sleeps, has helped me be more in the moment.  I am learning to make my chains a bit looser and to always try and count the stitches. Having ventured into a bit more of challenge, I have become stumped on row 4.  I think I will just keep going with how I understand the pattern  and then look back and see if it works.  The plan is to make a bundle of thank you packages.  My list is long.

The rain keeps on coming.  Cooped up with the kiddo and 2 loveable but wet stinky dogs is a test of patience.  Let us just say the place is a mess.  And there is no chocolate in the house.  We did take a walk in nature's corridor today.  My goodness the car is even worse.  The child restraint car seat is like a compost heap.  Even though there is a torrens pouring out of his nose and fevers have made him the grumpiest of grumpy, he still wanted to jump in every single puddle and "roll down, roll down roll down" the hill.  I am a bit of a slack Mama aren't I?

Drinking lots of rose hip tea, grated ginger and manuka honey.  Managed even a bit of baking.   The days are short.  When I am at home it just seems like forever cooking, cleaning, putting everything back into the cupboards that has been dragged out, constantly wiping little ones nose and washing the clothes that have been smeared with snot.

How my own Mother ever did it?  Three young ones at home all under 4 at age 22  and then a single mother living in a housing commission flat.  I am always thinking of what it really was like for her being alone looking after us girls.  Yes these were my humble beginings.  I have been very lucky.  Now I have a warm house, an amazing supportive partner, a back up career and all the modern conveniences at my disposal.  Ever so grateful.

Thank you for reading my rambles once again.  It is just nice writing things down.  Making a catalogue of my thoughts.  I often feel that this may be quite banal to others.  But I like to do it.  More of a thrill though is reading the life and creations of others.  I think that is what I enjoy most.  And there are some amazing blogs and amazing creative people  out there. 

Hope this first week of winter finds you happy and healthy.  Or if you are lucky enough to be so far North of us, savour every moment of the sun and warmth.

xx

11 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

I feel lucky too.

Some days to seem to last forever don't they. And I seem to do the same thing over and over and over and over....

Our car is also a complete tip.

I love your tablecloth.

This comment is now a selection of random sentences so I think it is time to stop.

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

I love the way this post weaves in and out of your day and then your memories.

It's not easy, is it? We love what we do, we love our children, but there are days, weeks, where it's just hard.

Let's take a tip from your beautiful son and roll! Roll down the hill and find the sill, dizzy happiness in the wet grass and the runny nose and the messy house..just roll.

And if that fails, keep knitting, it's beautiful.

Felicity said...

What a true and wise note Marion left.

I hope that the sun shines brightly in your pocket of the world this weekend and chases that horrid lurgy away.

Thank you for the healthful tea suggestion, I'm putting rosehip tea and Manuka honey on the shopping list.

Happier day!

xx Felicity

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Beautiful post. Those pictures actually look lovely and blissful - muffins, vegie garden, crochet, rolling down hills. Let him roll I say! When you've been feeling cooped up inside, sometimes you've just got to get out!! Hope you are all feeling better soon.

Naturally Carol said...

Even on our hardest days I don't think we had the dreariness of the days of our parents and grandparents. Thank God for modern appliances which give us time to do things we like to a certain extent, even with little kids around.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

You look like you have 'hiver' covered!! To think she not only had little ones on her own but magic machines like microwaves to take care of the peas & corn, great washing machines & all our modern conveniences. I loathe it when people say it's so much harder today to parent - we complicate things, back then they were too busy doing things the only way, the hard way!! You & your grown up sisters must be her proudest sparkly joy, i know my parents are pretty thrilled with the round of us, now the grandchildren (more doctors in the making too). Love Posie

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh another modern convenience i use in Canberra Winter to quash the wet dog smell - the mobile pet wash & blow dry (our guys only charge $35 for a German Shepherd, seriously, best smelling money i part with ever, plus they dry him throughly & he loves the pampering too). Love Posie

Vicki said...

Dearest Jill,
I too, like you, love animals and even though the news was horrid look how quickly people put action into plan. People caring.
Would there be any mother who could not relate to baby compost seat! I remember returning back to the garage when babies were asleep with cloth in hand!
Your days may seem to be repetitive but they are full of purpose, in hindsight you will see this and may even feel nostalgic for 'the good old days'! So many older women I speak to say these were the best years of their lives.
How clever are you to be able to follow a pattern! Impressed I am!
Vickixx

Naomi said...

What a lovely post. And how impressed I am by your ability to even attempt knitting. It's a skill that escapes me!

I love the photos that accompany this post too, and the ability of our children to remind us of the simple pleasures like rolling down a hill.

x

Nicole said...

hi jill

oh no. no chocolate in the house! it's amazing how much a bit of sweetness in my belly helps sweeten my view of life. hope you are all feeling well again.

x

Anonymous said...

I'm with Marion (she has such a way with words).
I really liked this post - sometimes there is so much beauty and truth in
'little life'. And you managed to knit your memories and day-to-day beautifully.