Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a big thank you

It is 5 am in the morning and I cannot sleep.  Our blessed sleeping through is going all wonky.  I have been awake since 2.30 am.  Everyone else now is blissfully asleep.  There is some huge creature moving around in the roof cavity.  Rat or possum?

Going around in my head is the need to write a big thank you note to some special people.  To everyone who comes by this space and cares to read my ramblings, thank you.  To all those who have connected with their sweet words, big hugs to you.  I often have times of intense angst over whether to even have a blog.  The rumination and emergence of posts floating around in my head does take up a deal of headspace and I wonder if this energy and these thoughts could sometimes be put to better use.  I do love so much visiting others and am constantly uplifted and inspired by people's stories and their craft.

How I came to have a blog can be attributed to a mixture of inspiring sources.  A few years ago I heard Rhonda Jean on Radio National.  I had no idea what a blog was.  Down to Earth is a constant supply of good downright common sense and there is so much wisdom and instruction on living a more simpler life on offer.  I put my hand on my heart and say thank you so much.

Next I think another trigger was Tessa Kiros the cook and author of "Apples for Jam" and "falling cranberries",among others.  There was something the way these books are presented I thought about having aesthetic in one's life and how being creative and documenting the special moments in your life can put the jigsaw puzzle toghether and give more meaning.

When I purchased my first home I think I was so overwhelmed by now owning a termite damaged , crumbly old home that needed so much doing to it, I went searching for others personal experience of renovating.. But somehow I did not really stumble across actual blogs at the time.  I was looking in all the wrong places.  Then my sweet neighbour Leah, who has  a funky renovated house and is a very talented seamstress mentioned her own blog, Sean the Prawn.  If you have not dropped by there, I would highly recommend a visit, especially if you have a little girl. Then I discovered blogger.  Ah ha this is where everyone is.

Then lo and behold I fell pregnant.  I was so ill.  At 20 weeks I made a phone call to start doing some prenatal yoga classes.  There  I met the most young and beautiful and also wise for years Jodi.  Astoningshly I heard her mention her son's name Che.  I felt this overwhelming deja vu and connection.  If my child were to be a boy, that was the name I had chosen.  Tears came to my eyes in my first class as I lay there been guided by Jodi's dulcit tones through her yoga nidra.  Just before my due date I heard Jodi mention her blog, Che and Fidel.  well I was hooked.  I fell in love with her life and from there blog hopped around the world.

Once given birth and then realising that we would have to sell our home and where were we to go from there?  I impulsively one day clicked on create a blog, uploaded some photos and then hit the publish button.  My first posts were in fits and starts and I have learnt so much since then, but still quite a novice.

I will do a part 2 of this post as now I need to go to bed.  The little man should be waking up soon.

See ya.

xxxx

11 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi Jill,

I hope you're 'rem-ing' right now. When my children were little I had one of those things that plug in and you can play different sounds, eg, rainforest, ocean, birds, it would get them to sleep but as far as keeping them asleep? It's such a surreal feeling to be awake at night, I used to feel it when I'd be feeding the babies and then the daylight comes peeking or blasting in and everything is 'normal' again but I would be left feeling disorientated from the day.
Lack of sleep is like being in a foreign country and not being able to speak the language!
Thank you for sharing with us parts of your journey. Your feelings and experiences are enriching everyone who reads them, it is cause for thought, ponderance, surprise, inspiration, and at times helps me to lift my bar.
There's a saying 'This time will soon pass'...

Vickixx

Felicity said...

Hey Gorgeous,

I'm so pleased that you've created this warm and inviting space, it's always lovely to visit.

Thank you for so generously sharing your 'inspirers', I've had the pleasure of visiting them this morning and have had a delightful time.

Here's hoping that you have a better sleep tonight and the sun is shining on you today,

xx Felicity

Jodi said...

Oh such sweet words Jill.

I, too, felt that connection when you realised my little boy was 'Che'. Perhaps then you knew that you were growing a little boy, that you had come to the right place and that everything was going to be OK.

I hope slumber comes soon x

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Jill..as just a recent follower I too have been enjoying your posts and your way of making me feel right at home with you..you're a very hospitable blogger..thank you! I will definitely check out your blogger friends too.

A Farmer's Wife said...

You're such a lovely blogger Jill. It is always a pleasure to pop in to your blog.

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Hi Jill,

What a lovely blog. I adore dropping by here and I must say I so love the kind and heartfelt messages you always leave on my blog. Thankyou.

So many lovely inspirers. I am off to pay each of them a visit.

I hope sleep comes easier for you tonight.

xoxox

Kellie

Anonymous said...

Thank you! So lovely (and strange) that blogging is a lot like living in a small town, and yet here we meet up on the world wide web in all its digital glory.
I adore your blog, it's such a lovely place to visit. Looking forward to part 2 ...

Cat said...

Blogging is a lovely place to visit, to be inspired and to meet beautiful like minded people. Thank you for sharing your blogging journey and I very much enjoy stopping by your friends blogs they are beautiful, inspiring and calm places to visit. May tonight bring you a better sleep and tomorrow a sunny beautiful day. Thank you for stopping by Jill it was lovely to meet you. xo

Unknown said...

I learnt about blogs nearly 12 months ago when I read a an article in The Age and it referred to The Design Files and A Beach Cottage. Lovely to have met you. (I am forty something with a 9 year old boy)

tea with lucy said...

I so enjoyed reading this post about the start of your blogging journey. most of the wonderful women you mentioned here have inspired me in a big way too.

(here's hoping for some solid sleep for you and me both tonight!)

rachel

xo

sarah said...

Hi Jill,
It's lovely to find your blog and also interesting to read why people begin blogging. I love reading other people's stories and imagining different lives that are being led all around the world. I am looking forward to joining you over here and have already loved seeing snippets of NSW and places I have been too!
Peace