Thursday, June 16, 2011

my creative space

I am calling this process punk crotchet.  When you dont have any real knowledge or skill in what you are doing but are willing to give it a go.  From the experimentation with different pattern squares for disclothes I just kept on the same  rhythm  and made a neck warmer.  Made with wool/cotton blend.  As the pattern has in built holes I found buttons that could easily fit through and hold it there.  Great for my sore neck and these very icy cold days.
Next was trying to crotchet a flower.  Searching on the net and in the book I have, I tried a very simple pattern and then decided to keep going and make a necklace.
                       What do you think?
            Would someone like it as a present?
Looking forward to making more flowers with more petals.  Do you know of any good links?
            More creative spaces here
       

post script

I had a pretty busy day at work.
Baby now in bed.

Here I will try and give the pattern from the spotlight book: The Big Book of Dishcolths, by Leisure Arts.  It is in US code.  Sorry for those who use UK one.  This is for the cowl/neck warmer.

I need to add that I used a size 4 crotchet needle and yarn was merino/cotton blend.  I used almost 2 x 50gm balls.

Chain 43

Row 1 (Right side) 2 dc in 5th chain from hook, ch 1, 2 dc in next chain, * skip next 3 chains, 2dc in next ch, ch 1, 2dc in next ch; repeat from * across to last 2 chs, skip next ch, dc in last ch.  Hence 34 sts and 8 ch-1 spaces.

loop a short piece of yarn or marker to mark row 1 as right side.

Row 2  Ch 3, turn; 2dc, ch1 and 2 dc in each ch1 space across to last 2 dc, skip last 2 dc, dc in next chain.


Row 3   Ch 3, turn; 2 dc ch1 and 2 dc in next ch1 space,* ch 2, skip next 2 dc, sc tightly around space of last 2 rows, ch 2.  (This will be the manoeuvre that makes the little diamond holes in the pattern).  Then 2 dc , ch1, 2dc in next ch 1 space.  Repeat from * across to last 2 dc, skip last 2 dc, dc in next chain.

Row 4  Ch 3 and turn.  2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc in next ch 1 space, * skip next 2 ch - 2 sps, 2 dc, ch1 2 dc in next ch 1 space.  Rpt from  * across to last 2 dc, skip last 2 dc, dc in next ch.

Row 5  Ch 3, turn.  2dc, ch1, 2dc in next ch 1 space across to last 2 dc, skip last 2 dc. dc in next ch.

Then simply repeat Rows 3-5 until desired length of neck cowl/warmer.  I ended in with a Row 3 to give the scalloped edge.

Clear as mud?

It took me a little bit of befuddling in my head, but once on a swing it works up quite quickly.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if there is a problem.

Drinking a nice glass of chilean wine from happy patient.  Bliss.

25 comments:

trudi@maudeandme said...

I love that cowl and necklace and the colour!. Have also been wanting to try a cowl and haven't come across a pattern yet that I thought 'Wow'. But yours is fab, can you point me in the right direction for that pattern?

lamina @ do a bit said...

It looks beautiful!!! Gorgeous crochet pattern :)

deux chiens et un garcon said...

I found the pattern in a dishcloth book from spot light. I can email it to you, or after work this morning I could come back here and write it down.

Annabella said...

I think you`ve done a beautiful job and I practice punk everything!

A Farmer's Wife said...

I think your punk crochet rocks! (is punk allowed to rock - I haven't watched enough Spicks and Specks lately...)

You take good care Jill. Keep that sore beck warm, you could even talk a little hot wheat bag under that scarf.

Beck said...

I love your neck warmer, the colour is just right and it suits you!! Crocheting is fun isn't it? Have you been to visit Attic 24? Lucy has some fantastic patterns and ideas xo

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Jill..that's a georgeous cowl/scarf..neck thingy! If you want to be inspired by crocheted flowers etc..go into my blogroll and find Just Do..by Dorien from the Netherlands..she's an absolute whizz with crochet.

Tracey@bountifully said...

lovely work, I do so love a bit of punk crochet. You may like the queen anne scarf - you can get the pattern off ravelry - the motifs are similar to the ones in your necklace. Lovely blog, so glad you became a follower and i could then find your blog, isn't blogging great like that?

LionessLady said...

Gorgeous job - the cowl is lovely, as is the flower necklace!

Vicki said...

Hi Jill,

Your creativity leaves me in the shade. Love how you went from a dishcloth to a neck warmer! For me that would be like making the bed then spinning the cotton to make the sheets!I saw a laptop bag overlaid with crocheted petals the other day, it was so pretty. I would love the beautiful necklace if you've not already been inundated with requests...
Vickixx
P.S. I've got the same gerberas on my table..the pink thing...

Sandrine said...

OH I like your punk crochet!! I think people would LOVE flowers and neck warmer as present.Sorry I have never tried the flowers yet but I am just refreshing my crochet skills at the moment...Fun is it!
Sandrine x

Naomi said...

I have been thinking about attempting some crochet. I think punk crochet may just be something I could do!
I love what you have made here... I'll keep you posted on how I go! x

Small Things Simple Pleasures said...

Excellent approach, punk crochet.

I think I'll borrow the term whenever I'm showing something which is wonky (which is everything). Punk sewing, punk knitting, punk putting lipstick on...

Not that your neck warmer is wonky, I hasten to add, Jill. It's great.

Anonymous said...

another dog family!

Thankyou for choosng to follow my little bloggy - and for the wonderful pics of your crochet... it looks complicated and you say you are a punk crocheter??

Wow.
I'll be having the pattern,please!!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Well, for not knowing what you are doing I think you did a great job. I have also made similar necklaces after being an inspired by an image -- didn't follow a pattern, just made it up. Great work! Best wishes, Tammy

Judith said...

Just caught up on your posts Jill.
They have been written with such thoughtfulness and warmth.

Lovely words, lovely girl. x

Unknown said...

Ooh I love it, it is SO cool! Must learn to crochet more than simple stitches!

Visiting from Our Creative Spaces. :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Thankyou so much for the pattern,

I will consider it a challenge to try.

Cat said...

Jill that pattern is beautiful, I've never seen it before. Aren't you clever making yourself this pretty crochet cowl:) I think someone would love a crochet necklace as a gift, it's very pretty. xo

Anonymous said...

Love your punk crochet! Sometimes the best creations are the ones where we dare to muddle our way through. The lavender colour is beautiful.

G said...

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Jill, but I do like the sound of punk crochet. Bit like me and my punk photography! Love that necklace... gxo

Unknown said...

love the scarf and flowers. I need to learn to crochet so I can crochet my squares to together. Been busy at work this week so am slowly getting around to visit everyone over the weekend.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

If that is punk crochet as you've thrown it together, you are amazing!! Love it Jill, just gorgeous, love Posie

Alice Becomes said...

I love this, I think you have done an amazing job and I think punk crochet could be the new big thing. Looks great, well done! Gill xo

Fiona said...

Love the cowl - I would never have made the leap from dishcloth to cowl!, And the pattern is great - I might have a go at that one!