Monday, February 7, 2011

28 days of gratitude - day 7 - my friend Cynthia



Today feeling quite exhausted and teary.  Last night I received news of the passing of my very dear friend Cynthia. Wife to Len, mother to kiddos Conrad and Sofia.  Cynthia fought her battle against bladder cancer at such a young age.

Cynthia and I were intern junior doctors together.  We shared a house and many aspirations of love, travel, children, art, meditation and spirituality.

Cynthia had one of those serene faces.  Like she was living in the future looking back.  A face which was wise and calm.  She faced this dreadful illness with little outward show of fear and as always her approach was positive and steadfast.

I remember Cyn doing step ups onto my dining chairs every morning.  I feel she really lived by what I saw as a true buddhist way.  Right thought, right action.

I listened as she told of her yearning for a man that lived overseas.  They were able to make a life here together and bring into this world two stunningly beautiful children.  Cynthia was a very dedicated mother.  Cynthia  built this strong sense of family first and I am sure there are many happy treasured memories.

I grieve for the loss of her.  Her husband and children.  I am feeling very sad that I did not get a chance to say a proper goodbye.  It all happended so fast.

But I am comforted by feeling her presence that is omnipresent and the dulcit tones of her voice is a chorus in my head.  So many memories of her kindness and strong spirit.

Cyn fully embraced my spontaneous pregnancy  at my older age.  Cyn showered me with pre loved baby stuff that we still use everyday.  She was supportive and encouraged me giving up work, selling my house, so I could be with my baby at this very special time.  And with my ever wakeful baby, her focus in relating to me was her detailed advice on sleep, breast feeding and routines.   Not her illness.  Maybe this was a distraction for her.

My heart is aching for the loss of my good friend.  Another dear friend said to me today,  perhaps people who have lived so well and had such a full life,  maybe they have a shorter life.  Their souls are complete and their work is done.


Vale Cynthia

xxxJ

3 comments:

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. She sounds like an amazing lady and friend. A lovely tribute you have written her.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry to hear of Cynthia's death. My heart goes out to her husband, children and, of course, her friends. Her children are blessed that there are people who can always share their mothers beautiful memory.

Sadness seems to abound at the moment.

Vicki said...

Dear Jill,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beautiful friend, Cynthia. Losing people is the hardest thing in life and their absence can be felt at the most inappropriate times but that just means their love is with you. Petrea King says, the cost of deep love is deep loss, that in itself is a tribute to Cynthia. Part of her will live on in her children and the memories of all who loved her.
Be gentle on yourself,
Vickixx