Monday, December 12, 2011

deux


A small party for family and especially for cousins and little one.  There was a cracker of a storm but a pocket  of sunshine where we could eat outside with our baked fish, home made potato salad (thanks Babcia) and poached beetroots with thyme and the home made cakes that I stayed up until 2.30 am baking and decorating.  The lolly train was a hit with the kiddos.  For bigger people there was a scrumptuous pear and chocolate cake, made twice and stacked.  I highly recommend this cake.  From the most amazing blog for recipes my darling lemon thyme.  I used almond meal rather than linseed meal and wholemeal spelt flour rather than potato flour. The pear really came through, the cake is not to sweet and the orange chocolate icing really gives the punch to pull it all together.  Yummo!

Not many photos were taken as I am a novice at this party thing, despite my age and I was running a bit.  As I lay in bed before the birthday boy woke up, on early Sunday morning those memories of birthing two years ago were all so intense.  For this day I really wanted to enjoy the moment.  Not feel overwhelmed by the preparations.  Being together as a family is what really mattered.


                         Che thinks everything of his cousins.  He recites their names as he drifts off to sleep.


                                                    We love you, you crazy kook of a boy.

                                                      Happy happy  birthday Che.

18 comments:

Cat said...

Happy 2nd birthday to your sweet little boy. The train cake turned out so well, very cute and worth the late night, I still do this too when I make cakes for the girls:) I like the sound of all that yummy food too mmm. Whenever I go to my friends children's birthday parties I always take photos for her, there's always still so much to do. I think you did a fantastic job on Che's party. xx

trudi@maudeandme said...

Happy birthday to your Che!
And thanks for the link. The recipe is perfect for my GF diet and I need to make a birthday cake on Thursday for my hubby.

Beck said...

A beautiful post! I love the way you write. Your little/big boy looks so happy with his cake, his cousins, his lot! So sweet. Keep on enjoying that precious boy, I'm sure you celebrate him every day xo

sean the prawn said...

Hip hip hooray!! Happy 2nd Birthday Che, it looks like you had a lovely party. I hope Dan & Chester had their party hats on. Congratulations Martin & Jill to think it was two years ago when we heard the exciting news of Che's arrival.
He looks like a gorgeous little character & so happy too.
Xx Leah, Dave, Max & Eliza.

A Farmer's Wife said...

Happy Birthday to a truly gorgeous little man....

Bungalowgirl said...

Great effort on the cake. I too believe in a late night to pull off a cake. The rest of the party is about hanging out and eating. Enjoy every bit of that chubby little two year old.My girl is just turning 3 and suddenly has long legs and isnegotiating with me about when I am going to teach her crochet. melx

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh happy birthday handsome little man. Aren't cousins the best resource in the world?? My 4 have 19 of them, lucky ducks, i grew up with 5 who lived overseas, bummer.
We spent the weekend in Bowral doing Christmas with my sister, it was lovely, albeit, crazy rain, love Posie

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

Love the cake - it looks wonderful and the description sounds yummy!

Best of all is the Two Year Old Boy!
Wow, leaving behind his baby-ness and heading toward a little boy, beautifully!

Happy Birthday to you both!

Unknown said...

Happy 2nd Birthday, Che xxxx

Naturally Carol said...

I think he has grown up so suddenly..even since you came back from up north! Isn't it funny how they suddenly look their age...just when you think they won't quite. I think that two year olds are great..they play so intensely and communicate much better than previously and are so much fun to show things to. I hope you all have a wonderful 'two' year!

Vic said...

What a cute cake! A very belated happy birthday to your little big man.

Naturally Carol said...

Merry Christmas Jill! I'll catch up with you in late January again when I get back from Taiwan..with plenty of photos hopefully! Take care!

M Violetta said...

A wonderful christmas to you!!

Jane said...

Oh Jill. Che is divine. What a gorgeous party you put on - clever mama! My, he's growing up so quickly and what a handsome little man, too ☺. J x

Maxabella said...

A lovely little party, Jill. I'm a bit late, but happy birthday to Che! What a cutie he is. x

Jane said...

Hi Jill, i missed Che's big day. happy birthday young man. my boy pulls his cheeks back, it always makes me laugh. I hope you are feeling ready for christmas. wishing you happy days and lots of joy. Jane x

Sandrine said...

A little late but "Joyeux Anniversaire" to you little Che!!I imagine two older cousins must be soooo sooo great!! :) xx

Sandrine said...

Oh "merci"for the GF cake recipe link (not that we need extra sugar at this time of the year lol, but sounds like a perfect treat!... :)xx