Tuesday, March 13, 2012

hello!


Time and place of being has moved on for us and it has taken a lot out of us.  We are so happy to be back in our old hood, however life at times has seemed a bit precarious.  Emotions and naughtiness have been riding high for our little one.  Taking our stride, re-connecting and finding our rhythm.



We were planning another stint out west but through feeling so exhausted and then comforted by our friends and old work colleagues we are in the process of making the difficult decision to say no.  Something I always find hard to do.  My old work place still has my name on the door.   Very clever.

A thought came into my head about motherhood this morning.  It seems the goal posts keep on shifting.  Just when you think you are on top of things.  Shazaam.  Very humbling.

Or maybe it is that I tend to over-think?  Each parenting decision seems like a huge one.



I am still towing the line in trying to finish projects from last year.  We have made a little play space for all of us and I sneek in there alone during nap time.  I started this lap quilt in the latter of 2011.  I started using Pip's pattern from her book 'Make Hey".  However I did want to have it a bit more snuggly in the end and decided to insert some cotton batting but had already cut the backing fabric the same size as the top.  I discovered through flipping through various other patterns how to make it up otherwise.  But now not sure what to do with the quilting.  Being a complete novice I think I might attempt the old fashioned hand "tying" technique with some embroidery thread.   Bit scared to do the "stitch in the ditch".  Quilter's advice anyone?



                                               Sorry, just had to put these last two photos in.  We miss you Dan.

Thanking you for reading.  I really love having this space and popping around the blogosphere visiting old and new friends.  Have a great week everyone.

p.s Thanking Jodi for the winning of her dragonfly toy giveaway.  Very handsome home made Steiner boy doll.  He has been named Charlie Mickie.   And another lovely Jodi  for her handmade picture book bunting giveaway.  We had a lucky week.

xx
J

17 comments:

Felicity said...

I'm so pleased that you've decided to stay for a while and thank you for this lovely peek into your always welcoming home. Your desk looks like the most delightful space to work, think, dream & create.

Blessings to all and thank you for sharing the last two snaps - treasures.

Biggest of happy hugs!
xx

Cat said...

It's so nice to see you Jill and to know that you are back home making things cosy and homely again. Your home is always so calm and welcoming, it has a beautiful feel to it. Motherhood is a journey isn't it with lots of different fazes and moments that test you, Miss 8 has been in an interesting mood for the last couple of days trying to start arguments, lots of deep breaths going on here. Loving your quilt too:) xx

Bungalowgirl said...

Good for you making those difficult decisions about which path to follow. Love the quilt and all your little crochet flowers. about the mothering thing, you are not overthinking, well if you are then I am exactly the same. I have learned to never ever let myself feel that i am on top of anything as from past experience 30 secs later it will all go pear shaped. Motherhood is the ultimate humbling experience. melx

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

What a beautiful little creative space you have there! And some gorgeous little creative goodies.

Unknown said...

Everything looks so gorgeous and cosy and nesty, Jill. Aren't you a lucky duck to win a gorgeous steiner doll and bunting? So lovely. Saying no is really hard but so worth it if the staying put outweighs the going again. xx

Jane said...

Hi Jill. maybe it's time to settle for a while. I have only moved twice in my entire life! Your quilt is looking beautiful. I once made a quilt with the tie off method. as a total beginner I found it quite easy. Chester is a great model! hugs and happiness to you today. Jane x

Jodi Wiley said...

Oh, the picture book bunting looks lovely. You're most welcome. It went to a very worthy recipient :) Your desk space looks beautiful and light-filled - very inspiring. I can identify with your comments on motherhood, the rug gets pulled out from under me just about every day. Thanks for this post. x

Jane said...

So lovely to hear from you again, Jill. I was wondering how you were going to mentally pack up and shift again. I think you've made a sensible decision. It sounds like you're relishing some nesting time. And that last photo is so adorable. J x

trudi@maudeandme said...

It all looks so warm and cozy and oozing creativity. Love that windowsill and all it's goodies in Che's room. And really want to flick through that crochet book!
Sometimes the hard part is the lead up to making the decision, and when it is made it all just flows...

Tales of a Tai Tai said...

It'll be a lovely feeling staying put for a while and having the comforts of family and friends nearby. I completely understand how nice that must feel. Enjoy it xx

Sally said...

Oh we're in the thick of emotions and naughtiness here too. So exhausting! ... and yes... it doesn't help that the rules keep changing ALL the time!!! If only those goal posts would stand still.
Good luck with it all. Finding your own rhythm will help.

Hila said...

Although I'm not a mother, I can relate to that feeling of 'just when I thought I was on top of things ...'. It seems to be a life thing, this constant change and re-evaluation. That doesn't make it any less exhausting at times though!

Maxabella said...

Your home is just gorgeous, Jill. I hope you have found your stride and are feeling like you are stepping out in style again. x

Felicity said...

Every visit to your home makes me feel sunnier inside, so I'm really pleased that this is the post that you've included in this month's 'POTM' Club offering.

Happy weekend Lovely!
x

ejorpin said...

Your home looks so warm and cosy and surrounded by gorgeous nature, it seems like a space that asks you to stay awhile. And from my experience the goal posts in life are constantly, constantly shifting - sometimes it would be nice to have more than a moment of certainty!

ps. That elephant in the first photo is adorable! Especially love the floral fabric

Judith said...

Dear Jill, Thank you for dropping by...it was such a surprise and so lovely to hear from you! Also noticed places you like to visit....you are very sweet! (and Che is so cute!). J x x

Maxabella said...

I always love the little peeks around your home, Jill. x